ADA Resource Networks: Connect and Learn
The Mid-Atlantic ADA Center’s professional resource networks have nearly 400 members throughout the region. Network members learn the latest information on the ADA through exclusive webinars and group mailing lists, networking with others who have similar jobs and challenges, and sharing resources and ideas to enhance ADA implementation.
Recent Network Activities:
ADA Leadership Network
The ADA Leadership Network (LN) welcomed two new groups of trainers; one in April and one in May.
- The April training was held in State College, Pennsylvania, for 19 people. This was the third training specifically for the Business Services Division of the Pennsylvania Office of Vocation Rehabilitation (OVR).
- The May training took place in Owings Mills, Maryland, and was organized in conjunction with Maryland’s Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS). The audience of 18 participants represented Maryland DORS, the District of Columbia Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA), Maryland’s Division of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation (DLLR), and three other individuals who have ADA responsibilities in their jobs.
LN members conducted a wide array of trainings across the region. Some examples include:
- A city university’s administrators and faculty were trained on disability etiquette and effective communication;
- A packing and shipping business’ human resources staff were trained on disability awareness and the employment provisions of the ADA;
- Chamber of Commerce membership received training on service animals;
- Parks and recreation employees participated in a training on facility and program access, as well as effective communication;
- A local government presented an introduction to Title II of the ADA for fire and emergency medical services (EMS) professionals;
- City managers were trained on disability etiquette and reasonable accommodation to prepare for summer youth employees;
- A large group of boy scouts participated in disability awareness training.
Title II Network
- The Network discussed "Unreasonable Requests for Reasonable Modifications" during an interactive webinar in March.
- Members participated in a listserv discussion on wheelchair accessible service counters.
Network Webinars - Coming Soon
- We will learn about Montgomery County (Maryland) Department of Transportation’s multi-year, multi-agency project to improve the county’s bus stops.
- Leaders from Pittsburgh’s Oakland For All: Beyond Accessible initiative will discuss this program, which aims to make the Oakland neighborhood a model of accessibility and inclusion.
Upcoming Network Activities:
- ADA Leadership Network will hold its annual face-to-face meeting on Wednesday, September 13 in Tysons Corner, Virginia.
- Corrections and Law Enforcement Network members and other professionals from this field will meet on Friday, September 15 during a lunchtime networking session at the Mid-Atlantic ADA Update.
Not a member? Find more information on the Mid-Atlantic ADA Resource Networks, including the ADA Leadership, Community Partners, Title II, Corrections and Law Enforcement, and Transit networks; call us at 800-949-4232 (DC, DE, MD, PA, VA, WV) or 301-217-0124. Membership is free, but requires application.